Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting a Record from a List Box Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinrobson

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
GB
Hi, please can you help?

I currently have a form which contains a list box, listing all the records in my database tables. I would like to be able to delete a record from the table using the listbox to hughlight it and a delete button to delete it.

I have tried a few different methods which i thought should work but havent managed it. It will get complicated as i need to think about foreign keys, but can someone give me the basic code i would need to allow this.

I have the ablility to ammend records from the listbox at the moment, so know how to get the selected item displayed, but would like to be able to delete rather than disply, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Martin

From in the click event of your delete control, you will need to capture the record that was selected. In order to do that, you will need to create a variable. You will also need a variable to delete the record using a SQL statement. For example:

Sub cmdDelete_Click()
Dim intValue As Integer 'Assuming that
Dim strSQL As String

intValue = lstCustomer.Value
strSQL = "DELETE * FROM tblCustomer WHERE CustomerID=" intValue

With DoCmd
.SetWarnings False
.RunSQL = strSQL
.SetWarnings True
End With

End Sub

'God Bless

Jamie

hi here's my code and I can't figure why it doesn't work

[tt]
Dim intValue As Integer
Dim strSQL As String

intValue = Me.Project
strSQL = "DELETE * FROM dbo.[Project Info] WHERE dbo.[Project info].[Project]=" & intValue

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL, 0
With DoCmd
.SetWarnings False
.RunSQL = strSQL
.SetWarnings True
End With
[/tt]

I get a "Invalid Syntax near *

jul ^_^
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
E. W. Dijkstra.

2 Bugs resolves , here's the solution
[tt]
Dim intValue As Integer
Dim strSQL As String

intValue = Me.Project
strSQL = "DELETE FROM dbo.[Project Info] WHERE dbo.[Project info].[Project]=" & intValue

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL, 0
With DoCmd
.SetWarnings False
.RunSQL strSQL
.SetWarnings True
End With

jul ^_^
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
E. W. Dijkstra.

On a similar note, can anyone have a look at this for me and tell me why it doesn't work? I'll be jiggered if I can figure out why.

Code:
Private Sub cmdDeleteRecord_Click()

Dim strSQL As String

If Me![Table] = "Incoming" Then

strSQL = "DELETE [tblIncoming].* FROM [tblIncoming] "
     strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE [tblIncoming].[OWCRefNo]='" & Me![OWCRefNo] & "';"

ElseIf Me![Table] = "Outgoing" Then

strSQL = "DELETE [tblOutgoing].* FROM [tblOutgoing] "
     strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE [tblOutgoing].[OWCRefNo]='" & Me![OWCRefNo] & "';"

ElseIf Me![Table] = "Drawings" Then

strSQL = "DELETE [tblDrawings].* FROM [tblDrawings] "
     strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE [tblDrawings].[DwgNo]='" & Me![OWCRefNo] & "';"

End If

DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
With DoCmd
     .SetWarnings True
     .RunSQL strSQL
End With

End Sub

Code:
Me![Table]
is just a drop-down box, and
Code:
Me![OWCRefNo]
is just a text box that I enter the number of the record I want to delete into.

Help?

Just realised... I should really put in the error I'm getting... d'oh!

When I hit the button that this code sits behind, I get "data type mismatch in criteria expression" relating to the
Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL
line.

Your SQL strings are trying to delete based on a string field - are they numbers? If so, omit the single quotes.

BTW: The semi-colon is optional, you don't have to put the tablename in front of the * ... in fact you don't even need the *! "DELETE FROM Tablename" will do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back