Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleting A File

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrixUSA

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
I am trying to delete a file that appears in my winnt/profiles/username/temp internet files/content.browser/##### folder but get the message that the file cannot be found. The file size is 0 KB but the file shows up in the folder.

When I attempt to delete through NT Explorer I get a message: Cannot delete (name): Cannot find specified file.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this file?

Thanks for any input. PatrixUSA

Have you tried to find and delete it from the command line?

Steve

NT does not give access to the /temporary internet files/ folder thru the command prompt.

It's not a real DOS prompt, only a shell.

Any other ideas...?
Thanks.

'NT does not give access to the /temporary internet files/ folder thru the command prompt'

Yes it does! Its only a folder - eg \WINNT\Profiles\username\Temporary Internet Files

Make sure you run the attrib command to remove all system, hidden, read only attributes from this folder, and all its subordinate folders and files (attrib -s -h -r *.* /S /D)

You may have no more joy - is this file causing a problem?

(have you tried to access/delete it from internet explorer settings - general tab, Temporary Internet files section, settings button, view files? Also assuming using the delete temporary files from same place doesn't affect it).

Good news! Removing the system, et al., attributes revealed the folder within the command prompt and allowed deletion of these files.

Not sure what the files were but didn't want to take any chances.

Thanks for that, 'wolluf'.
PatrixUSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back