Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted users still resolve

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbourne

MIS
Sep 11, 2003
Ok, this is yet another reason Microsoft frustrates me to death. I can't seem to figure out where this information is being "cached".

Scenario:

Exchange 2003 server,
Outlook 2000 and 2002 clients
Active Directory 2003

We recently had some mail-enabled users leave the company. So, I followed these steps:

Disabled the user accounts.
Hide them from the GLOBAL ADDRESS LIST.

However, the users noticed that when in Outlook, if you type in the first few letters of a name, these disabled users still showed up if they share a common first few letters! (example: typing "hmil" without the quotes in the TO: line, suggests all users with "hmil" as the start of their name, including the disabled and hidden users)

If you click on the name of the suggested recipient, the contact card that appears is the disabled user's account information.

So, the next thing I did was delete them from Active Directory completely, and since we didn't need to keep their emails, I forcefully purged them from the Exchange server. I even deleted the OU in which they were contained (as it is now empty).

Now when I am in outlook and start to type the first few letters of a user in the TO: line, I STILL get the now deleted / purged user as a suggestion. The difference is when I click on the name of the suggested recipient, the only information listed in the contact card is this:

/o=company domain/ou=location1/cn=Recipients/cn=Hosted/cn=ABC/cn=hmiletti

Where is this information being pulled from and how do I purge it?

Its not that frustrating really IHMO

An educated guess would suggest that the info is being held locally. Easiest way to do it is to have them press the delete key as soon as it resolves. This way they get to keep all their other cached addresses.

Alternatively, get rid of the lot

It does seem that it was cached locally.

I didn't know there was a local address cache in Outlook, so I never would have guessed this was being cached locally. Especially since when I modified the server, the cache was updated automatically with the changes, except when I deleted them from the server, the cache still had the name listed with all the information missing.

Makes no sense to me, but thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back