Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted $NtUninstall$ files - Get BSOD when I logon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aesit

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2004
CA
I was trying to clean up some space on our mail server, as the C:\ was getting full, so I did a search for log files and deleted old ones and then went into C:\Winnt and deleted all the $NTUninstallKB$ folders. (They are in the recycle bin as I did did not want to permanently remove them in case there was an issue)

I had done some research before doing this but obviously not enough.

Once the files were moved to the recycle bing the system was running fine until I rebooted the system for a few updates. The server boots up fine and is working correctly (thank goodness) but then I try to log onto the computer (incl. remotely or in safe mode) I get the following BSOD:

Error:
STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x8052589B, 0x000000000, 0x00000FF8)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Address 8052589B base at 80400000, DateStamp 45ec3c8f - ntoskrnl.exe

Since I have network access to the server I have tried copying the $NTUninstallKB$ files from an almost exact system back to the mail server, and indeed the BSOD takes longer to appear, but it still crashes.

If I could just find out where the recycle bin keeps those files I might be able to put them back in C:\Winnt\

Any suggestions?

I'm about 99% sure that the issue is unrelated to your having "deleted" the files if all you deleted were the $NTUninstallKB$ files. Those are only used when you uninstall patches. And while we're at it, deleting them so that they go to the recycle bin doesn't actually free up any space. All it does is move the files to another location.

Yes I knew putting them in the recycle bin would not help but once they were in there for a few days I would have removed them permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back