Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deleted all sys32 files..!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenjoswe

Technical User
Sep 19, 2000
SE
Hi all,

I have by mistake deleted all my system32 files on my Win2000 server. The server is now running but I'm afraid it will not start if I shut it down.

How can I restore the files?
Do I have to reinstall Win2000?

/Kent J.

ouch...no backups? You could do a straight "upgrade" from the CD...should be pretty painless..

Did you hold the shift key when you deleted the files?
if not ... did you clear the recycle bin?

gilflex,

Yes, recycle bin was cleared.
But I guess I can reinstall Win2k sys32 files from the Windows-CD and reinstall the rest of the programs.

I will survive (I hope).

/Kent J.

There are a number of "undelete" utilities that can allow you to recover deleted files, even if gone from the recycle bin (or they never went there). If this is an option you are open to, please consider, before restarting the server.

You are correct - once restarted, it will surely fail. I'm deeply worried that restoring from your CD will restore old versions of critical system files, and it will be a disaster - in the registry, the file system, etc. If this server holds AD master roles (or is the phantom NT4 domain controller, yes, that exists even in Native mode), I strongly suggest moving them to a backup server while you still can. Furthermore, I trust that if this is a logon server, your clients point to another DNS in case the primary is unavailable.

Caveats to undeleting:
As time wears on, deleted file information will be lost, as will also be caused by installing a large product (such as a larger undelete util/suite).

Go here for a set of commercial undelete utilities. You may be able to find a freeware one, but it's harder, and you don't know what you're getting. I don't personally know if one of these is better than another; we always have backups.

Good luck. Maybe your server needed a fresh install anyway.

fyrewyr,

I have managed to restore almost all files that was deleted in sys32 - 1496 restored of total deleted 1560

Software to restore was RStudio from R-tools Technology
Inc.

I have tried to copy the restored files back to the system32 folder but some files are in use (services) and can not be replaced at the moment. I cannot see how may files that are really back to system32.

I have also tried to reinstall servicepack 2 for Win2k but it needs 'Cabinet.dll'. I guess that this is not the only sys32 file that is needed to reinstall the service pack.

The critical services that is running right now are:
SQL-server
IIS
FTP

The databases are to big to copy elsewhere. So I'm planning to detach the databases before I try to restart the server.

I've now got myself hardware to enable backup so that I'm better prepared for future disasters.

/Kent J.

It is possible to create a Windows 2000 installation CD with SP2 *integrated* into the installation - meaning that perhaps you could get cabinet.dll by creating one of these (I think it's called SlipStream). Since you got most of your files restored, I'm betting you're in significantly better shape.

One thing that you could look into is the registry key...I'm so annoyed that I don't remember its name (something like the pending file queue)...that is used for upgrades - upon restart, any files listed here replace files that were in use before the system starts. Though, making changes to registry increases the opportunity for failure, it could also reduce it.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back