Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete "ServicePackFiles" Folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdemmi

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
US
There is folder named ServicePackFiles in my Windows directory. (I am running XP Pro). Can this folder be deleted? It's 278 MB and has not been modified in several months.

Thanks, but it doesn't.

1. That artcile is for Windows 2000
2. It references the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folders which are created with each hotfix install.

I am referring to a folder named ServicePackFiles.

I know how to delete it, just not sure if it's safe

I think these are latest previous versions of files replaced by installing service pack(s). Presumably not required if you're not going to uninstall service pack - but I've no idea if deleting them will cause XP a problem or not (put in recycle bin and leave for a while?)

or complete backup, delete the files, keep the backup for a while to recover if problems...

or just get bigger disks so you needn't worry...

I like many things about XP... the lack of _easily obtainable_ detailed doco in areas like this is one of my current issues...

JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

At a guess the SP1 files will be used by the System File Checker program when you run it to check your system files (ie Sfc /Scannow). If you remove these files I wonder what SFC will use to replace corrupt system files.

Even after SP1, SFC will still use your XP CD to check system files that were not replaced by SP1(unless you have copied the I386 folder from CD to harddrive at Setup). I assume it will also copy later version files from the SP1 folder on your harddrive. If it didn't do this it would be a backward step in more ways than one.

This is just a thought and guess and a reason why I have not removed that folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back