Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELETE query - all but MAX of ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

ks1392

Programmer
Dec 7, 2001
US
Hi folks, I am having trouble creating a delete query where I need to match on a number of customer criteria and delete all records but the MAX of the unique identifier for each grouped result. Here is a sample query:

select left(btn,6), campaignname, custname, count(*) quantity from repaircalls inner join campaigns on repaircalls.campaignid = campaigns.campaignid
group by left(btn,6), campaignname, custname
having count(*) > 1
order by quantity desc

This query returns to me a customer name, campaign name (this is for a callout list in a call center), the area code and exchange of a customer's telephone number, and a total count of records matching the group by clause. As soon as I add the unique ID field to the mix I obviously get 0 records returned because there's only one per record. I've tried enclosing this query in an exists clause to no avail.

Basically, I need to obtain the record IDs for these summarized records and delete all but the MAX(ID) for a given customer name, campaign name and Area Code / Prefix combination. Anyone have some pointers on how I could accomplish all this without cursors?

Thanks,
Kerry

Wouldn't this do it?

select max([id]), left(btn,6), campaignname, custname, count(*) quantity from repaircalls inner join campaigns on repaircalls.campaignid = campaigns.campaignid
group by left(btn,6), campaignname, custname
having count(*) > 1
order by quantity desc

Tim

Right, but how would I isolate the max(id) field so as to put it in an IN clause using something like the above query as a subquery to isolate out the max(id)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back