Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delete phantom folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithinoz

Technical User
Dec 21, 2005
AU
In my AppData>local>temp folder there are a number of empty Microsoft related folders (with empty subfolders below them). eg OICE_A5BBD8BF-2E14-4FF9-B956-2D7D01C9A0B0.0. When I try to delete the I receive a message saying that the folder is no longer at this location.

How do I get rid of them?

Control Panel -> Folder options -> View -> Advanced Setting - Files and Folders

Check: Don't show Hidden Files and Folders
Check: Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)

[OK] -> [OK] -> Refresh explorer view (F5) and they will be gone.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

You could try searching for OICE_A5BBD8BF-2E14-4FF9-B956-2D7D01C9A0B0.0. and see if it turns up in another location.

You could try searching for OICE_A5BBD8BF-2E14-4FF9-B956-2D7D01C9A0B0.0. and see if it turns up in another location.
No need for that, it is the GUID for the drive recycle bin

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Hiding the folders is only a cosmetic solution. I've tried chkdsk with /r and /f without any luck. Searching for the folder shows no results.
Any other thoughts.

Do it in "Dos" (CMD Prompt), but you will have to do a Dir to get it's short name. Use the try using Erase instead of Del if it doesn't work.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

You CANNOT delete them, the operating system creates them, uses them and protects them.

An example is; if you create a folder in the start menu and name it as ...

Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}

it will become a cascading list of the control panel icons.

They are GUID references for the system folders, often temporary references for something the OS may running or doing at the time.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

That article is about the directories with PERMANENT GUIDs.

NET apps can create temporary GUID folders
Infernet Exploder can create such folders when downloading files
Installers can create GUID folders for a particular application
The OS can create GUID folders should it need one

Search your registry hives for that GUID it may tell you what it belongs to

The AppData folder IS for what it sounds like, a location for applications to store their data beit temporary or permanently.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

I checked the registry. No sign of any of them

Will it allow you to delete the containing Temp folder, and then recreate the Temp folder?

Why does it matter?

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Try your deletions outside of the Windows environment.

Have you tried running your machine out of the Windows environment? If you have an install DVD that you can boot to (or a Startup Repair option via the F8 Safe Mode screen), try launching the Command Prompt from the options provided when you go down the Startup Repair path. Do not perform the Startup Repair, just look for, and go to the option for the Command Prompt (from the Choose a Recovery Tool dialog).

How to use the Command Prompt in the Vista Windows Recovery Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back