Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete File On Boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamedTech

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
GB
Hello Guys,

I have a file which I want to delete as early on in the boot process as possible, before I have a particular application started in the inittab file.

Whats the best way to achieve this? I've tried kick starting a shell script from the top of the inittab file which was meant to remove it, but it didnt seem to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Can you not delete it by a Live CD without booting up the system in the hard disk? If the file reappears it may be a system-generated file and that may not be removable.

Hello guys,

Thanks for the response. Placing the file in the TMP directory appears to have worked for me perfectly! The file cant be deleted on shutdown as its an embedded platform and the system rarely goes through a proper 'shutdown' process, the plug is simply pulled on it.

Thanks guys!

Rob

If you had the ability to use a bootable distribution you could have cooked files on the drive without having the native distro/apps running. However, you mentioned embedded so there may have been other considerations. Glad you're out of the woods.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back