Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete file in use, kill usage for deletion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JferWfer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
Hello All,

I have a stubborn file stuck in a users \docs & settings\(username)\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\help\ the file name is 1116792937@Top,Top2,Top3,TopLeft,TopRight,Left,Right,Right1,Right2,Right3,x01,x02,x05,x10,x15,x24,x25,x30,x31,x32,x20,x21,x22,x23,x26,x27,x28,x29,Middle,Middle1,Middle2,[1] the file has no extenstion, you cannot display properties, you cannot rename or delete....if you try it says the file is in use or you just hear a ding. I've tried deleting this through safe mode, the admin account, etc... I need to recreate the profile for this user but I cannot get rid of this file so thus I cannot get rid of the profile. Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Three other notes:

. do the above steps in Safe Mode
. if the profile is on the local hard drive, to a chkdsk /r in Recovery Console
. consider a thorough scan for non-virus malware: faq608-4650

Did all of this! Message on dellater was file could not be found. Even though it is still sitting there! Chkdsk, nothing, safe mode, nothing, ran ad-aware, nothing, all in safe mode too. I did not use the other software link you provided since that one was not free. Thanks for your help though. I don't know how I am ever going to get rid of this file. I am starting to think it has something to do with file name being sooooo long.

Thanks,
Jen

If you look there is a freeware version on the site for DelFXP.

Mr. Twine is a Tek-Tip Forum member, and I hope he sees this note, as he has been very generous in the past.

But in any case, DelFXP does have a freeware version that will work.

Let me detail another approach as well.

Bring up Task Manager, and kill the task Explorer.exe

The use the File menu, Run new task, with a command line to delete the file.

I suspect the issue is that the filename is so long and obscure, it is nearly impossible to type properly.

In the alternative, consider copying from the existing user profile to a new user profile everything important BUT that file:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back