Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete dual boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom1603

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
NO
I have a 3 years old PC with dual boot Win98 and Win 2000, which I want to "clean" up, preferrably reinstall Win2000 only. I have lots of data and mail (Outlook) I want to keep.

Any good tek-tips in this resepct would be highly appreciated.

Well, a 3-year-old system has a 3-year-old HDD. Although you should get more years out of the HDD, now is a great time to buy a newer, larger, faster one.

Install the new one as the primary drive and install Win2K onto it. Reload all your programs and transfer the data from the old drive to the new one.

Don't forget to do an inventory of all components on your computer and download the latest drivers for everything (including BIOS and motherboard drivers). Use these updated drivers during your Win2K install.

hi,

Why u r reinstall ur windows b\c u want delete dual boot option right? i advise go to C drive just delete windows folder not winnt folder ok b\c when u delete windows folder ur win98 automatically delete and go to folder options show all hidden files, after select boot.ini file open in notepad file, where u can see a path c:\windows just delete this and save it and restart it.

after boot ur system direct start windows 2000, i think ur data also save and its easy way to secure ur data.

thanks
smudassir

SIDs
Beware Windows 2000 security/encryption. You should backup all data files which are encrypted or have access controlled by custom ACLs BEFORE zapping the old Windows installation. These won't be available to the new installation of Windows 2000 due to different Security IDs (SIDs) being in effect.

[lipstick]

there is also an option to disable dual boot....in the properties of my computer....look around...its there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back