Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete contents of mailbox without deleting the mailbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB
Delete contents of mailbox without deleting the mailbox?

Does anyone know if this can be done, is there a utility. If you're wondering why I ask its when I test restore mailboxes I would like to then be able to delete the contents of the test account mailbox.

Any ideas suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Use the Clean Mailbox toll on the Tools menu in Exchange Admin, there are several options of what you can delete. Alternatively if you need to have sight of what you are deleting, close down your Outlook, open the mailbox properties through Exchange Admin of the mailbox you want to clean, add your account to the list of NT accounts with permissions (Role of User). Now re-open your Outlook go to Tools> Services open the Microsoft Exchange Server properties. Click on the advanced tab and add the mailbox you want to clean to the list of additional mailboxes to open. OK the windows to close them and the additional mailbox will appear in the Outlook Folder List. Clean away to your hearts content.

Fishbulb

Having never used the 'clean mailbox' tool does the cleaning apply to all mailboxes or just the mailbox selected/highlighted? I wouldn't like to test the unknown on a live server and delete messages older than X days on all mailboxes.

I currently perform the second option and its just a little timely, I'm hoping that clean mailbox will resolve my problem and just clean the highlighted box, thanks for the advice

Use Mailbox Manager!

Also can use Exmerge with the Archive option and selected dates but Mailbox Manager is way easier. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back