Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delete a disconnected Mailbox that was tied to a user that now has a new mailbox! Usernames same

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc110

Vendor
Jul 26, 2007
US

We recently had some corruption in our Exchange 2007 database which required us to create a new database and move all mailboxes to a new/clean database. During the migration to a new database we discovered the user that had the corrupted mailbox "John Doe". Everyone else's mailbox migrated beautifully but we had issues as his mailbox was corrupted. Our first attempt was to migrate his data to a pst and we performed and import of the PST to his new mailbox which did not work well. Because of the import attempt, he had a new mailbox associated with his account. We decided to disable this new mailbox (which put his mailbox into a "Disconnected" state. We then created a new mailbox for "John Doe" and manually copied his PST information into the corresponding locations within the new mailbox. Long story short is:

1. We have a single new clean database with all users including "John Doe"
2. After creating the new mailbox for John Doe and importing his information, I still see the old mailbox in the Disconnected state which makes sense.
3. The question is, what happens when exchange finally deletes the disconnected mailbox? I assume that Exchange distinguishes the difference between a live/connected mailbox for "John Doe" and the disconnected mailbox for "John Doe" and that the disconnected mailbox will be the only one purged (as I no longer need it anyway)? I was going to manually delete the mailbox using the Exchange command but wanted to make sure that it only deletes the old/disconnected mailbox for "John Doe" and does not impact his live/working mailbox. I assume Exchange has some type of SID that is tied to the mailboxes to distinguish between them? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Don't worry about it.
Every mailbox has a unique GUID that Exchange uses for tracking purposes for such things.

If you do a get-mailbox -identity MailboxName |fl on a live mailbox you'll see it as one of the attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back