Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delegate adminpak.msi/privallages

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkenworthy

Programmer
Sep 13, 2002
GB
I'm trying to delegate control of users to some members of our staff (they are non-administrators). I am using GPO to deploy the adminpak.msi (from Windows 2000 Server CD) to them when they log on to a station.

I have delegated control of the relevent objects (in Active Directory Users & Computers) - allowing these users to control a specific object in the directory.

However - when I log as one of these delegated users, and attempt to run the adminpak.msi, it fails, issuing the warning that the "user has insuficient privallages" to install the MSI package.

I thought the whole point of deploying an MSI was that it allowed installation of software to a station without the need for an administrator to log in?

I want to keep the delegated users as non-administrators but allow them access to install the adminpak.msi at logon via GPO.

I have seen this error with installing a Macromedia Flash package.

How can I elevate the privallages for these MSI packages to allow it to complete the install without making them administrators?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back