Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delayed response from WinXP issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgeroonie

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I have an issue with a WinXP (SP2) computer, where a 20-30 second delay occurs if you right-click on an item on the desktop OR if you open a file by double clicking on it be it from a network location or a local location.

It seems that the computer is waiting for something before executing the command given by the mouse click. I can see in task manager that the CPU utlisation is low whilst this happens and I have checked for Virus's and spyware etc to no avail.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance!

The traditional advice is here: And the advice in this FAQ is excellent: FAQ779-4784

My own rough findings:

. A defragmentation of the hard drive(s) after the installation of SP2 is a really good idea;
. Because SP2 replaces so many files, I force a re-optomization of the startup cache and startup program disk optomization using this trick: FAQ779-4518
. Roxio/Symantec GoBack slows things down considerably
. As does newer versions of WebRoot Spysweeper
. Norton/Symantec CleanSweep is not advised at present
. If using DIVX codecs, see:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back