Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delayed logins 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTHUG

MIS
Jun 11, 2001
US
I have L2000 server running hpux 11.0, When I added a nameserver to the resolv.conf I started experiencing delayed logins ( up to 1 1/2 minutes ) on my server from our remote sites. This happens intermittently, mostly on the first login. We are using kermit95 to telnet to the server but i do not think it is the problem. I have also edited nsswitch.conf and removed the nis lookup but still no go. I could use any idea's you may have to help resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Paul Romanek

Paul -- it *does* sound like a DNS timeout.... (the 90 seconds thing)

What do you get when you run nslookupon that box - does it run OK?

Is it trying to resolve the name of the machine you're logging in *from*? (guessing here) Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Paul, Mike hit it on the head. It is trying to resolve the name of the machine you're logging in from. Try this. Pick a machine that is having "issues" and defile it in the /etc/hosts file as a "bogus" machine, like:

192.168.1.100 workstation1

Then try logging in again with that machine. I'd say that it will run fine.

Of course the long term goal it to make sure that the nameserver knows about all of the machines out there trying to log in. Again, Mike is on the money with the nslookup test as well.

crowe

I agree with the lookup being the issue here.
I would suggest also trying this.

Once you have logged onto the box (after 90 sec):
"who -R am i"
This will do a reverse lookup and echo where you came from.
This should help to identify where the lookup is failing.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back