Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delayed email to Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I've got a problem with someone that I don't really understand. Customer claims that emails arrive at her Comcast email address almost instantly on her ipad (someone@comcast.net) but it takes 5 minutes or more to arrive in their Outlook 2010 mailbox.

Now, I tested how long it took for an email to arrive on the Comcast SERVER via the web mail page. It did 1 to 2 minutes to arrive, but sometimes much faster. Outlook is set to pull emails every 1 minute, so it really shouldn't consistently take an email 5 or more minutes to arrive in Outlook given those findings.

But the real issue (for me) is that the email can't arrive on the ipad before it gets to the comcast server. Any ideas on what might be happening? Am I missing something?

Only the headers are needed for an iPad mail notification whereas POP3 needs the whole message to be downloaded. And of course checking a POP3 mailbox every minute is likely to introduce some overlapping delays.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Only the headers are needed for an iPad mail notification
Why is that - isn't it just POP3 like Outlook?? The account is set up as a POP3 account.

I did some other things yesterday that may have straightened this out, but I need to wait and see at this point.

POP3 is a messaging protocol not an email client, With POP3 messages are downloaded in their entireity to the client with 'push email' notifications/messages are sent TO the client as soon as the message arrives.

Instead of checking every minute why not set outlook up for "push" email as well?

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Did you think I didn't know that?? Is there a lack of communication here? A POP3 mailbox setup on an iphone is the same as one setup within Outlook.

I was trying to say that the email account on the iphone is setup as a POP3 account just like it is within Outlook - therefore no difference between the two. But, as I said there may have been a simple answer that is totally unrelated to the two devices.

Ok I obviously must have missed the point where you didn't say that the ipad was using POP3.

I was trying to say that the email account on the iphone is setup as a POP3 account just like it is within Outlook
Maybe if you had, there would have been no confusion.

Chris.

Webmaster Forum

Well, of course I knew what I was TRYING to say. Stand by as there may be act II of this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back