Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay listing files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mseverino

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2001
DE
Hi

I'm experiencing some delays accessing shared folders in our File server.
This only happens through explorer, and after selecting the folder that I want to view it takes about 15/20 Seconds to list the documents.
If we map a network drive, and try to make a DIR command in a DOS shell the listing is very fast.
The server is a Windows2000 SP2, and clients are using Windows 2000 Pro SP2.

I already tried to remove antivirus but the delay is still the same.

Can some one give a hint on this issue?

Thanks

Try this - can't remember where I got this info from
"
Network Browsing Speed Increase
A rather annoying "feature" included with Windows 2000 can impact the responsiveness in network browsing from Win2K systems to Windows 98 PCs. When you browse the network and double-click on an available workstation, you may experience a delay of up to 30 seconds. This is due to a resource scanning routine that has to do with Scheduled Tasks. In most cases, it's not necessary, so simply deleting the associated registry key will work around the issue. When you upgrade Windows components or versions of Internet Explorer, this may be replaced, so you'll have to delete the key again in order to rid yourself of the reinstated delay. Navigate to the following registry location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ RemoteComputer \ NameSpace
Then delete the following key:
{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}"

Hope this helps - I know it mentions win 98 but worked on native win200 domain for me.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back