Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay in seeing new rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonql

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
GB
I'm connecting to a Progress 8.x db (sorry - don't know the exact version) using the Merant 4.0 ODBC driver (from a C# NT service). I am experiencing severe delays in seeing new rows written to a large busy database. The Progress system which writes the rows also writes an entry to a small database which I monitor: when I see a new row in this 'gateway' database my program goes off to the main database to pick up the new rows - but doesn't find them! It can take up to 22 hours before they become visible. (By visible I mean that a select actually returns data rather than an empty result set.)

Has anyone else seen this? Any idea of possible causes and fixes or work-arounds?

Thanks very much -

Simon

Simialar situation...
Progress 8.3e on Windows 2000 server
Merant Data Direct 4.0 ODBC drivers - connect successfully to Access 2000.
However there is a delay in the availability of new data added to the database when trying to run select statements fro example for reports etc.
It can take hours before the data becomes "visable" through reports.

Are you setting the Database Connection Options on the Advanced Tab of the INITIAL ODBC Driver Setup to "-RO" ?

DO NOT do this it seems to cause the problem.

Once you have got the connection and set up the Client Program, you can then set the parameter -RO, this seems to work for us.

Thanks for that tip - the DSN does indeed have -RO specified. I'm going to try and get permission to try with it taken off (it's a complex situation!) and I'll report back..

Cheers -

Eventually, the suppliers of the Progress system told us we HAD to take off the -RO flag, as it was causing 'corruptions' of some sort to the database.
Unfortunately, that didn't help. They've no gone up to 9.1(something) and it still happens.

Wierd....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back