Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

delay in opening a folder, right clicking also hangs for 30 seconds. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonGuerra

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
CA
I am having a problem with my folders opening. When I click on any folder it hangs for a minute and then the screen goes blank (everything clears but the wallpaper) and then it resets everything. Then I try to open the same folder and it has no problems. Another problem I have is with right clicking something. It delays for 30 seconds before giving me the menu. Any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated. I have Windows XP home, P4 3GHz, 80 gb drive, 512mb ddr, 800Mhz FSB, and 67% free space on Hard drive. This computer is a brand new Toshiba laptop. Please let me know what I should remove (program etc.) or what I should load in order to correct the problem. I have defragged and updated all ad-aware, anti-virus, Windows update.

Keep an eye on this thread too.

thread779-764870

Some have posted their Hijack This log, perhaps you could too. It might help to compare them.

Before Posting a Hijack log file - Best Practices
faq608-4650

Thank you for the replay Linney. My Highjack log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 1:32:31 PM, on 2/6/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\CDANTSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\EzButton\CplBTQ00.EXE
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba Controls\CpRmtKey.EXE
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Merriam-Webster\Merriam-Webster.exe
C:\Program Files\LogoMedia\LogoTrans\LogoMedia LogoTrans.exe
C:\Program Files\LogoMedia\Miscellaneous\TranslationEngineLocator.exe
C:\Program Files\LogoMedia\Spanish to English\LogoMedia S to E Translation Engine.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\duikl\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CplBTQ00] C:\Program Files\EzButton\CplBTQ00.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPad\TPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CpRmtKey] "C:\Program Files\Toshiba Controls\CpRmtKey.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using Download &Express - file://C:\Program Files\Download Express\Add_Url.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.toshiba.com
O16 - DPF: HushEncryptionEngine - O16 - DPF: {62475759-9E84-458E-A1AB-5D2C442ADFDE} - O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - O16 - DPF: {AE1C01E3-0283-11D3-9B3F-00C04F8EF466} (HeartbeatCtl Class) -

One more thing! I have turned off the transition effects for menus and ToolTips two weeks ago. This happens when I just startup or have been on for several hours. Thank you Bcastner for your replay as well.

I am not using go back. I have read the links that bcastner and Linney have provided a week or so ago. Nothing improved. By the way, congrats to you bcastner for the MVP award.

Some links are evolving stories so it pays to keep an eye on them in case of new developments.

Did you see the link from above about right-clicking, it turned out to be a problem with Services, or reinstalling programs that were installed as Services.

Another cause worth checking is the possible expiration of Verisign certificates.

Secure Sites Update
thread779-746272

While the delay is happening what does Task Manager have to say about CPU usage?

Do you still get any delay if you were to temporarily stop any virus scanning?

The black screen that you describe sounds like something is causing Explorer to reset itself.
You may pickup some error or warning message in the Event Viewer.

To check your drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

To check conflicting software.

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

To checkout unnecessary services you are running.

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

DonGuerra,

Thank you for the congratulations on the MS-MVP award, but the persistent issue you pose is one of the hardest as a Windows shell issue to resolve. So, I pardon ahead of time for looking like a flopping fish in trying to help.

linney, above, has linked you to the most common isssues, I hope you note that the comments below are purely speculative:

1. In the main your Hijack log is clean. I do not like to see these as running processes; I can understand why you would want to, but there is a performance hit for doing so:

C:\Program Files\Merriam-Webster\Merriam-Webster.exe
C:\Program Files\LogoMedia\LogoTrans\LogoMedia LogoTrans.exe
C:\Program Files\LogoMedia\Miscellaneous\TranslationEngineLocator.exe
C:\Program Files\LogoMedia\Spanish to English\LogoMedia S to E Translation Engine.exe

2. It would be important to know if you added anything to the context (right-click) menu. The commmon hack to Move or Send to an item? Many third-party compression utilities add a ton of entries. Have you added or remove WinZip or WinRar?

3. I am coming closer to believing the context menu speed is dirctly tied to how efficient the use of virtual memory on a system might be. (I used to believe it was tied for difficult cases to registry issues, and I still hold to that niave belief). Daniel Petri notes several ways to check, and defragment virtual memory, and I would appreciate after a test knowing if a defrag of this particular memory helped:
4. linney has done a brave job of complaining about context menu performance under XP. I admit I originally thought that it was a resolvable issue, that user settings explained the phenomena. In many cases it does. But I have joined the linney camp in believing it is a bug in XP not yet resolved. One nice thing about being an MS-MVP is I hope my voice will sound louder now. I know that at the moment this is not treated as a Shell issue, that the issue lies in user software or user errror.

And often this is true. But if you did all the links above by linney, myself and others, you enter this unknown area of poor performance of the contect menu. As a personal issue, linney has been stalwart in arguing there is a Shell problem, it is at the top of my list with the MS folks.

To the MS folks, this is always due to "pilot error" and I just do not believe it. I now vote with linney, that there is a cumulative issue with NTFS and the OS that has yet to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back