Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delay after digit collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickfish

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
US
I have a script that contains digit collection to play an additional announcement if the caller presses 1. When I test and press 1, there is a 12 second delay before the announcement plays. I added the INTER DIGIT TIMER to try and speed it up but it didn't help. Any suggestions? Here is the script:

OPEN VOICE SEGMENT
PLAY PROMPT VOICE SEGMENT Announcement
COLLECT 1 DIGITS INTO Digit_Collector_cv
INTER DIGIT TIMER 1 (Was added to try and speed up)
END VOICE SESSION

WHERE Digit_Collector_cv EQUALS
VALUE 1: GIVE CONTROLLED BROADCAST ANNOUNCEMENT
PLAY PROMPT VOICE SEGMENT Repeat_Number
DEFAULT: EXECUTE Continue
END WHERE

The inter digit timer specifies the time that the system will wait for you to input the digit. If you do not specify a time it will wait 10 seconds by default. I usually use 6 seconds as that gives people enough time without being too long. That said, once you enter the digit, the system goes on to the next command and the inter digit timer is longer in control.

The time that the announcement starts is controlled under Configuration>Global Settings. Look for the second setting, Broadcast Voice Port Wait Timer. This is the amount of time the system waits from a request for a port. It is set by default to 10 seconds.

So if you have a request to play a broadcast announcement, it will not start until the timer has expired. Additional requests for this announcement (up to 50) will be stacked up during the timer period and all the requests (up to 50) will hear the broadcast announcement at the same time.

You can shorten the timer, but be careful, the shorter the timer, the more voice ports will be required to play announcements. If you have plenty of voice ports go ahead and shorten the timer down to 6 or even 4 seconds. Check your voice port usage (IVR real time and IVR queue report) to make sure your capacity of voice ports is ok. The lowest I would go for the timer setting is 2 seconds.

If your capacity of voice ports falls short (you have a request for a voice port, but no idle port), the announcement will not play.

Miles has identified the problem above, i.e. the broadcast wait timer. Just to add that if you want an announcement to start immediately then you have no option but to use the "OPEN VOICE SESSION" command. This will potentially increase the number of voice ports required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back