Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Degrees vs. experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

cderow

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
US
I am currently working as the Director of IT for a company I have been with for less than a year. I started out as the IT assistant and got the job on nothing more than the Net+ certification. Now I have my MCP in Win2K and I'm working towards my CNA and CNE. As the Director I have skills not only on the technical side but on a business and leadership side as well. My question is would a BS degree make a whole lot of difference when trying to find a job elsewhere? I am thinking of getting my degree in CIS but I'm not sure if it would make a whole lot of difference. A trend I'm seeing nowadays is the need for experience rather than certs or degrees. It's something that I have been pondering and I'm looking for some feedback. Thanks.

I'm surprised you're seeing that trend. The trend that is being written about a lot lately is how more and more places are looking for certs and or degrees.

The debate about education vs. experience and which makes you more effective is endless and not worth starting again. As to which will help you get hired, it probably just depends on who's hiring in your area and specifically what they are looking for.
Jeff
Working in IT is like trying to commit suicide with a very small hammer ....

When I was applying for a job it seemed like employers were looking at the skills I had first, the certifications I had next, and finally what I did in school. I really think if I had to do it all over again I would get certified rather than getting a degree. I know that a lot of people won't agree with me, but I spent a lot of money on school and when I got out I knew a little about a lot. It just seems like if you were certified you would know more about a lot.

Just my thoughts!

I think the raking for most wanted is:

1. Certs and Experience
2. Experience Only
3. Cert Only

Kjonnn,

Where would you say a degree would fall in your list? BeckahC
[noevil]

Personally, I think expirience is over degrees to begin with but are still important. I had a hard time finding a job because I only had a two-year degree vs. a four-year, thus why I am now working on a four-year. But there gets to be a point which you need a degree to continue up that ladder. Mike Wills
AS400 Programmer
[pc2]

Please, if you find my post useful, let me know. [thumbsup2]

Experience, but this might change with the changing economy.. more people going after less jobs.

The way I sometimes feel is anyone can get a cert or a degree, but experience and accomplishments in the field are what really matter. Of coarse you need one cert or another to get in, but if I were an employer I would want someone who has worked with one application or another in a real world setting.

I in now way have the expertise of the others on this board.

But I think a degree, in the proper major, will complement and enhance your experience and make you more marketable and open your options, ESPECIALLY if you're going into management. But it really depends on where you wanna go. If you're not planning to go above a certain level, in some aspects a degree might be overkill. A gentlemen sitting across from me thought a degree would better his salary. They powers that be said NO.. his position doesnt need a degree to do the job effectively (he did programming with out web site).

A degree would give you more flexibility and head-room. Technical certs are great if that is all you want to do and there are adequate job opportunities (absolutely nothing wrong with that approach). A four year degree is a pain. (I did a civil engineering BS at night over 7 years.) But, once done, you have a much wider field to play. Obviously, I thought a degree was a good idea - I did one.

From another perspective (sort-of) there are lots of jobs out there that you can't begin to compete for unless you have a sheep's skin. Sheep's skins don't necessarily indicate value or competence, but, still a lot of organizations that define positions with educational requirements.

I personally saw about about a $15K salary jump within 2 years of finishing my BS. I'm working on an MBA now.

I guess it all depends on where you want to end up. More technically oriented (4 yr degree programs move to slowly to keep up with technology) or more business oriented ( a 4 yr degree will give some real benefits).

Good Luck either way [thumbsup2] 'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

sith421,

You don't state which path you want to pursue on your next job, technical or management.

I found out years ago that you come to a point in your career that you have to decide which direction you want to head. IMHO you can't EXCEL at both so you have to choose to pursue excellence at the "tie" or the "tool belt." Either way, you have to look at who your "competiton" will be for that next job. The hiring manager has to compare you to the other applicants. If you choose the "tie" then most candidates will have a degree and then so should you.

If you choose the "tool belt" then the manager is having to select the candidate that will be a) easiest to manage and b) do the most useful work. Certifications show what you can do toward "b" and a degree will help toward "a."
HTH,
Patrick

In my area, they won't even look at you without at least a 4 year degree.

I suppose it all depends on what you want from your career and where you want to go.

I would surmise that it really depends on the discipline and the local job market. I've seen it go all different ways (experience over degree, cert over all, etc) depending upon economics at the time.
I've only a two year degree and around 10 years experience in IT but have had no problem finding either contract or perm. In fact I usually get at least one phone call or email per day about a position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back