Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defragmenting on a Domain Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgraves8

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
US
I apologize in advanced if I am posting in the wrong forum but this seemed correct.

I work at a help desk in large company that is spread out any many locations. We run XP Pro on all of our machines and most of the machines I would say are not any older then 3 years.

The problem that we see more and more are machines slowing down and when we connect to them and run windows defragmenting tool it is all red. While we can defragment someone's computer when they call and complain we would rather be proactive.

Diskeeper for each machine may be too expensive.

Has any one used any tools that will automattically scan the computers drives and defragment them if needed. If purchasing some type of server for diskeeper or some other software is needed please let me know

Thank you for any advice you can give.

You can run defrag from the command line, and thus in a login script or with GPO.

The command line is:

defrag <volume> [-a] [-f] [-v] [-?]
volume drive letter or mount point (d: or d:\vol\mountpoint)
-a Analyze only
-f Force defragmentation even if free space is low
-v Verbose output
-? Display this help text

So, you could potentially run this in your login script:

defrag c: -v

The first time you run it, it would take a while and would make your login script window remain open until it finishes; however, subsequent defrags will be significantly faster, especially if you keep this up on like a weely basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back