Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defragmentation software for Panther - recommendations please? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stla

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2003
DE
I would like to defragment the hard drive of a Panther mac.

Can anyone recommend a suitable software?

Best regards

Can I ask why you want to do this? I've had Mac's for years and I've never needed to defrag. I'm just a little confused.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

This article might be interesting to you.

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Well to be honest I'd always done this with OS9, every so often using Norton Utilities or Speed Disk to defragment, thus not only giving a nice block of colour, but it genuinely seemed to improved speed etc.

The Panther machine in question is one that is in use daily for around 14 hours and it has suddenly become very lethagic.

Nothing has changed regarding software nor newtork so my thinking points to the harddrive that it needs 'reorganizing'.

It seems that it may be necessary with very large files or with a hard-disk more than 90% full.

I guess my baby-video and dvd projects haven't been big enough yet to warrant this!

Let me know how you get on though if you still feel it is the way to go. It may well come in useful in the future.

Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back