Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defragment problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice78991

Programmer
Nov 20, 2006
I have a few files that I cannot defragment,I've had a number of goes. I have tried turning off most of the processes in task manager to make sure they're not being used - they are mainly .rar files. After defragmenting I get the same files that could not be defragmented

Is there anything else I can try

How big are they, and how much free space do you have on the hard drive?

One way to defrag these files would be to move them over to another disk, defrag the original disk, then copy them back.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Before you run the defrag utility try this:

1) Click the start button
2)Click on Run
3) Type: chkdsk c: /R
4) After it runs, you'll get a message about not being able to get an excclusive lock on the drive, do you want to run chkdsk on next reboot. Press Y. Then reboot. Your hard drive will then get checked for errors. It may take a few minutes, so don't panic.
5) after your pc reboots, now run the defrag.

If the above doesn't work, you might want to down load and try diskeeper (do a google search, you can use it for 30 days for free).

How much free space do you have on your hd????

You will never get all files to defragment. Most of them should be small and of no real problem. As an experiment when I was in scholl for computer stuff we did a defragment on a drive 50+ times and could not get all the files.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

sleepsalot,
Your right. Those files that won't defrag are probably all OS related, like the page file, the Master File Table, etc. Diskeeper does a good job of showing what is fragment after it runs. Otherwise, if you don't have approx 15% of a drive that is free, files don't get defragged.

That makes me think of one thing to do (if you have say at least 512MB of Ram).

Disable the Page File/Virtual Memory, and THEN run the defrag. You'll get a little more done that way, it seems. Just make sure to reset your virtual memory/page file after the defrag.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back