Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defragging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creeker

MIS
Apr 22, 2002
US
I have a server using Win NT Small Bs Server 4.0. It has never been defragged. From what I have been reading about defragging, I'm thinking this would be a good idea since we are having some issues with slowness. When I asked someone from our computer support service, they said it wasn't necessary. Now I'm really confused. Is it necessary or isn't it?

Defragging is usually necessary on any windows machine. If the machine is not used very heavily except for reading files it may not be necessary for long periods of time but if files are constantly being moved on and off the machine then defragging is a definite must. I have seen amazing speed gains by just runnning a defrag program, especailly on heavily used NT server machines. Diskkeeper by Executive software is pretty much the gold standard for defraggers and I find it works extremely well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back