Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defrag will not run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2002
GB
Hello,

I have a friend who has Win98. He's trying to run defrag on his HArd Disk. It gets about 10% of the way through and then stops. He says he's run scandisk,and there's no errors on the disc. What could cause this to stop?

Regards,

Monty99

Monty,
There are a ton of threads that have been started in the past on this. I highly suggest searching for common questions using the advanced search option above.

In short, defragmenter can become interupted if something running in the background makes a "disk write" to the hard drive. Screen savers, power management, antivirus scanners, etc. are all examples of interference. You can try to kill them before hand by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and ending task on everything except Explorer (don't worry about the "killing" part - rebooting will bring them back).

If your friend can't determine where the conflict lies, have him defrag in safe mode...

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Another very common cause of this (if using MS Office) is my favorite waste of resources - Find Fast.

Have your friend reboot the system into Safe Mode and run the Defrag then, also make sure they clean out all of the Temp and Temporary Internet files and empties the recycle bin. When it is finished reboot the system normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back