Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defrag not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

asya1

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
US
For some reason when I try to defrag my D partition it runs and says it is complete but it is in the exact same state as when I started!

It says it is 26% fragmented and I see 2 large and 2 smaller chunks of fragmented files (red areas). When I click defragment it almost immediately jumps past the first 3 red areas and the last blue area (contiguous files) into the mostly free space area where it will run for about 15 minutes. The defragmentation display looks identical to the analysis display and when I hit analyze it tells me to defrag the drive!

I don't get any error messages but some applications are running a little slower than usual. I have run a virus scan (local and remote) and cleaned up unneeded files.

Any idea why defrag appears to be doing nothing at all?

Thanks,
ML

well, Defrag can be affected by either not having much free space to work with on the drive, or finding a really HUGE file. Also the background applications can throw in a monkey wrench. Here's what I do:

Make sure I have a third of the drive space free (33%). You may have to move a folder to another hard drive or back something up to tape or CD to do this. If you have a really big file, like an ISO, that's what you should move off the drive.

Boot into Safe Mode. Only a minimal amount of Windows drivers load in Safe Mode and none of the Startup applications. This give Defrag the fewest number of locked files to deal with.

Then run your Defrag.

Works for me :)

G.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

A couple of things. 1) After the defrag completes, look at the report (Save it to a text file and then open it.

1) What files are listed as still being fragmented? If you feel safe enough, move or delete those files, then defrag again.

2) Open a command prompt (cmd) and type the following:
chkdsk c: /f After CHKDSK starts, it will say it can't complete the process. Do you want to complete at the next boot up. Press Y. Then reboot. Chkdsk will run and do a re-index, and check your HD for problems.

I'm with TIZI.

Diskeeper is worth its weight in gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back