Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defrag Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerseyD

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
US
Instead of leaving the "pagefile" size on the default windows setting (what was that setting btw lol can't remember.)I set it to a static min/max of 2048 much like I had it in 98SE. but now im having a sort of problem with using this trick in W2K.It doesnt seem to want to move to the very top like it used to in 98SE using Norton Speed Disk.So I started using DiskKeeper 8
Iv'e moved the entire pagefile.sys to my second HD successfully but once it's there I cant work out how to move all the files on my C: drive to the bottom so that I
can shove the Pagefile back to C: but on top.
Anyway I've added a new section to my web page for the sole purpose of holding pics of of the problems Im trying to work out so if any of you reading this might have some advice for me on this matter please click this link to view
the SS of my problem
Its pic 1 on top.
Some of these pics are big so I decided this would be best to just provide a link to them rather than post the actual pics here and force them on unsuspecting 56krs
Whoeverhelps me solve these problems will get credit added to the jpeg followed by a link to the thread here that describes the solution :)

jdspin.gif

I know its not what you asked - but wouldn't you be better off leaving the pagefile on the second drive?

See the discussion, and utilites in Daniel Petri's article on virtual memory:
I suspect though if you have enabled Boot time optomization in Diskeeper any additonal fiddling with the pagefile will yield few returns for your efforts.

NTFS volumes are not defragged as tightly as FAT32, although some defraggers have the option to defragment in this fashion.

Thanks guys.As for leaving it on my second HD I considered it but changed my mind after trying to install PhotoShop 7 on my C: drive and having it complain about "are you sure you want to install PS7 on the same drive that contains you "scratchfile" (I assume it meant the pagefile?)
Also I have been to that link before but thanks.He doesnt mention how to move it to the top either.
I really wish Norton SpeedDisk was still able to perform this operation as painlessly as it was in 98SE.Hell it was automatic in 98SE.It had a check box for "Optimize Swapfile"
Anyway The basic reason I like to have the pagefile on C: is that I try to install all my most commonly used games /apps on D: so that C: is free to run Windows at the same time without having to read from the game/apps files at the same time.Since I consider the pagefile part of windows I don't mind having it on C: too.
It's too bad that W2K and XP cant use the "ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1" tweak beacuse I swear to god my Swap file was NEVER touched in 98SE.
W2K however insists on using it no matter what.
Even afeter disableing the "paging assistant" in my registry:(
Anyway Iv'e e-mail Executive Software (the makers of DiskKeeper 8)And suplied them a link to the SS so hopefully
they can shed some light on this for me.
I'll post back here when and if they give me a solution.

jdspin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back