Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defrag Errors in event viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZiggy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2002
IE
Hello I am getting the following errors in the eventlog of my exchange 5.5 sp4 on win NT 4.0 sp6a server.

Has anyone got any advice about this, should I be worried as I am also getting an error when I try to modify groups in exchange admin: -

Microsoft Exchange Directory System Error
ID no: c105001c

Event Viewer errors
Event ID: 179
Date: 22/05/2003
Time: 06:00:26
User: N/A
Computer: OSBIOM_PRINTS
Description:
MSExchangeDS (479) Online defragmentation is beginning a full pass on database 'E:\exchsrvr\DSADATA\dir.edb'.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESE97
Event Category: Online Defragmentation
Event ID: 184
Time: 06:00:27
Description:
MSExchangeDS (479) Online defragmentation of database 'E:\exchsrvr\DSADATA\dir.edb' terminated prematurely after encountering unexpected error -510.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ESE97
Event Category: Online Defragmentation
Event ID: 183
Time: 06:59:59
Description:
MSExchangeIS (573) Online defragmentation of database 'E:\exchsrvr\MDBDATA\PRIV.EDB' was interrupted and terminated. The next time online defragmentation is started on this database, it will resume from the point of interruption.

Online Defragmentation HAS to use about the same amount of hard drive space that it is defragmenting. If your database is about 5 gigs, you need at least 5 gigs FREE to let it work it's magic. I would suggest about 1 1/3 times free space to be safe.
The Microsoft Exchange databases can be defragmented OFFline using the /D switch with Eseutil.exe (version 5.5). Under normal circumstances there is no need to defragment the databases. Online defragmentation is done automatically, however, the size of the file is not reduced and disk space is not recovered. Here is the article that explains Eseutil:

Don't let it get worse. Good luck. Click.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back