Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defrag causes system crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackey333

Technical User
May 10, 2001
US
Hey all, I have an interesting problem for ya...

When I try and defrag my hard drive at either 0% or 1% the system crashes. There is no blue screen or anything, but cursors stop flashing, the mouse stops responding, and alt ctrl del does not work. I tried letting it sit, but even after 2 hours there is no response from it. I do have several large files (1-3 gigs each) and 2 drives in a raid 0 array, however I don't see this as the problem because it always worked before. Both drives are new (summer 2005), and the problem occurs in disk defragmenter, defrag from the command line, and also in norton speed disk. Also, there is pleny of free space (about 35%) and a chkdsk came up clean. Any ideas?

-Greg :-Q

flaga.gif

Does the "Analyze" phase complete if run first?

Have you tried Safe Mode? Or even as a different Administrative user in Normal Mode?

To check your RAM.

To check your Hard Drive.

The drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to check your drive for problems.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

How to provide event logging for the Disk Defragmenter utility with Windows Script Host

Disk Defragmenter Limitations in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Have you tried turning off all active programs before starting defrag. Right click everthing near the clock and see if you can exit or shutdown the program. If you can turn nearly everything off then commence your defrag again. Hope this helps
Ockerb

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try after xmas...I need to use my pc to compile a dvd for my dad today which will take several hours.

-Greg :-Q

flaga.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back