Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

itdcldad

MIS
May 2, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to extract the information from Definity into SQL? I'm currently using BCMS Vu to export the information into MS Access but it's not good enough. Does anyone know of an ODBC Driver?

There is none. The Definity's operating system is called Oryx/Pecos and is loosly based on Unix (vintage 1980). If you are familar with older development on Unix, it used a programming library called curses to place the cursor on the screen and write the text. Curses used either a file called terminfo or a directory structure of files called termlib to figure out the correct dumb terminal control key sequences to position the curser and redraw the screen. This is why you have to enter your terminal type when you log in.
Now how do programs like BCMS Vue, Terranova and Definity Site administrator get the information? They actually perform a text capture of the information the switch sends to the terminal and then format it so it can be exported.
This is not the only way that information can be retrieved from the switch. Centre Vue CMS actually reads and writes directly to the switch administration tables (this is why there is no add vector command because CMS can only change the administration tables it cannot add to them). The old admin tool G3MA also worked directly with the administration tables. The problem with working directly with the administration tables is that they change with each release. For almost every switch software release, the CMS program that interfaces with the switch administration tables has to be modified. G3MA was abandoned for Terranova for this reason.
Will there ever be a SQL or ODBC interface to the switch? No, because if this is something a customer really wants, Avaya will tell them to purchace Centre Vue CMS or Center Vue Explorer. Both of them have this capability because CMS is based on Informix and Explorer is Microsoft SQL server. Both of these products build and maintain their respective databases from information that the switch blasts over either the DCIU or Ethernet connections (the switch does not buffer the information). As you know BCMS is buffered for 24 hours in the switch.

I hope this helps.

Leo V. Brown

Thanks! This is another stab in the dark - Do you know anything about Remedy (CRM software)? I'm trying to get the information from Definity to automatically populate Help Desk Tickets in Remedy. I've asked the Remedy ARSList but received no responses. -- I'm basically trying to consolidate most of our information into a few databases. Unfortunately, most of the databases I'm dealing with aren't relational.

If you can't provide any more info, don't worry about it. Thanks again.

What type of information do you want from the switch and in what format? There are some tricks that you can do with Terranova (the old version 6.0 and before) with its scripting language and file capture. You can also use Procom Plus to do the same thing. I have written Terranova scripts coupled with some simple qbasic programs to automatically pull out various information from the switch. I might be able to give you some ideas.

Leo V. Brown

We only have two helpdesk personnel for 250 employees. We would like to have a way of taking a person's name, phone number, timestamp, and their location within the building(floor level)and putting the information into a Remedy trouble ticket. Helpdesk would then be able to view their Remedy queue and know who called and when. While they wouldn't know why they called, they would have a head start.

Sorry I haven't posted a response sooner. There are a couple of ways that may work and I have to do a little thinking about it. Part of the problem is I am never sure of what is and isn't an Avaya product anymore. If this was 1987 I could suggest a great solution using a product called PC/PBX but it is history now. If you could answer a couple questions maybe we can go from there.
1. A person calls and from their phone number you want to populate a Remedy trouble ticket with name, phone number, location and time stamp it?
2. Would this be on the same machine that BCMS Vu is running on?
3. Do you have a version of Terranova 6.0 or eariler?
4. Do you have any available System Administration/Maintenance Ports?
5. Do you keep your location and wiring information current in the station forms?

If you can give me these answers I may be able to figure a way to help you. If you want to take this off the forum my email is leob@techplus1.com

If you have dsa or teranova you can do a 'list station' and export this to a text file. This can in turn be imported to any database or spreadsheet program.

The downside is that it as only as current as you latest export.

steveave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back