Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Definity Si to CM6.3 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

popenator

MIS
Feb 25, 2007
GB
Hi, I need to take an R11 si up to CM6.3
The ONLY thing I don't have experience of is taking the translations and converting them to be compatible with 6.3 and relevant gateways.

The documentation talks about contacting the STS Team at Avaya. But I can't find a number for them.

Is there a way this can be done myself through provision? If so, any pointers would be useful

Thanks.

This is not a one step process the translations can be made to work on CM6.3 by means of i believe 2 upgrade steps , then you are going to require new servers to support CM , some hardware may be ok from your MCC and some will not , that said you are going to really be better swapping out.

But all this is dependent on your current architecture and what you want to achieve going forward , for example are you going to use IP phones or remain on tdm sets if IP then G450 gateways would be the answer , if not a G650 and your tdm cards may work dependent on HW.

Where are you based you really need an Avaya BP to go through the design to ensure you get the most efficient and cost effective uplift.

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Hi montyzummer
I'm the BP, like I alluded to, the only thing I don't have experience of is migrating the translations, the rest I understand and have experience of.

It's easier to ask techies how its done than go through a disti/Avaya account manager who doesn't understand the question, let alone the answer.

Ok apologies it was not clear you are a BP.. logging a SR on Avaya Support will give you a trackable method and is a way of bypassing some red tape , having gone through the pain of this myself its APS that you need to contact proservices@avaya.com , but i would seriously log an SR

Also see the below links,they may come in useful , After upgrade to CM you need to go to R5.2.1 run the Cm6 upgrade procedure install CM6 load your backups...done.

(ignore the link the numbers are obsolete)

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Wow, thats alot of grief! Do you know for sure that ProVision can't be used?

There are software tools that allow upgrades from prologics to s8400 which converts flash card xln
data to linux server format.

Look in the s8400 documents on CMC cabinet to linux server upgrades

read_csi_file -f csixln (csixln g3csi xln = filename in ~ftp/pub) g3csi to s8400

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Provision will work as well.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Hi was actually thinking about going down the s8400 route but this is an si rather than prologix/csi so didn't know if i would be wasting my time. Can you confirm?

Also, regarding ProVision do you know how i could get the si translations into Provision? Would I need to connect directly to the switch via serial/tracker or could I somehow copy the contents of the flash card onto my pc and get provision to read it.

Sorry for the questions, I've just no exposure to this area of Avaya before.

Thanks

ProVision is your best -- you will need to remap a lot of stations (anything on ports 15 and up) and of course you will need to make room for IPSI boards (1A/1B) and any other boards that may get moved or displaced as you move from the old MCC/SCC to G650s.

I don't know of any way to get an XLN into ProVision -- that would be pretty cool if that was thing. Best method I know of is connect to the system directly (serial) or dial in and download. It will take a while, but its the best way.

Make sure you have the design all accounted for too -- lots of boards lose compatibility/support in CM6.3 and many other boards just aren't necessary anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back