Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

defining maximum number of delivery attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlite79

Technical User
Aug 15, 2008
US
Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if there is a way to define in the sendmail.mc or sendmail.cf the maximum # of delivery attempts? While testing some mailing scripts using mutt as the MUA and sendmail as the MTA, a partition became full because sendmail kept trying to deliver mail to bogus e-mail addresses. This is on a Red Hat EL5 mail server.

I apologize if this question has been answered, but I did not get an answer from the searches I did beforehand. Does the mail queue settings need to be defined in a script or command line? I would appreciate an example if this is the case.

Hello again.

I have a better understanding of what happened. Bounce backs from bogus email addresses first went into /var/spool/mqueue. After a time they went into /var/spool/clientmqueue. Sendmail would continue to try to deliver to bogus email addresses, and consequently the clientmqueue became filled up.

I looked at my sendmail.cf and found the following UNCOMMENTED on timeout:

O Timeout.connect=1m
O Timeout.ident=0
O Timeout.queuereturn=5d
O Timeout.queuewarn=4h

Will changing any of those settings or others alleviate this problem?

Is accessing the queue and how often done at start or restart time? such as service sendmail -q1h restart?

When I type "ps -ef | grep sendmail" I see this:

ps -ef | grep sendmail
root 2814 1 0 Jun02 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: accepting connections
smmsp 2823 1 0 Jun02 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: Queue runner@01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
smmsp 13107 12623 0 13:15 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -FCronDaemon -i -odi -oem -oi -t
root 13406 13222 0 14:51 pts/2 00:00:00 grep sendmail

Right now those huge df files are manually removed from /var/spool/clientmqueue. Can anyone offer a better way (either inside configuration settings or at restart of sendmail)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back