Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Defining Calculation Field in Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTex

Technical User
Jul 2, 2001
US
I am just a humble beginning user of Approach 9.5, which I ordered off the Internet with limited documentation.

I am defining the fields in two databases. In one database, I am using a calculation to derive a value. This calculation involves using a field in the OTHER database. I can't find any information on how to call up that other field in the other database in the construction of my formula. When I am in the field definition wizard, it only makes the fields of that particular database that I am working in available to me, and not the fields of the other database.

I figure there is a simple way to do it, and I have spent several hours researching this, without success.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

-BigTex

Firstly, have you joined your two databases? if not go into the database that wants the calculation field then go to Create then Join. A box will open showing your database. Click Open and select the other database. The helop file is actually helpful with this. Once the databases are joined, when you are selecting the fields to make your calculation you can choose from a dropdown box which database you wish to use.

If they are joined and the particular field you reqire does not show up check the options on your join. I hope this is a bit of a help as I am have only been using approach for five months.

Thank you Ellie. You are right. They were not properly joined. BT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back