Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deferred Procedure Calls & Audio Clipping 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I don't know if anyone will be helped by this, but.... never stopped me from posting before.

I was having a problem when I hooked my laptop up to my stereo to crank up some tunes and I was getting audio pauses/drop outs periodically in MP3 files.

I tried different media players (Winamp, VLC, Windows Media Player) - no difference

I tried driver updates for audio card - no difference

Finally, I used this tool to sniff the system as it played audio which shows Deferred Procedure Call "intensity" and whether it will likely affect audio output.

Turns out that by just disabling my wireless network card in Device Manager, all the drop outs stopped. I can now crank up my tunes without interruption.

BTW - it didn't matter whether the wireless connection was active or not connected to any network, it still caused a problem.

Thanks for sharing. I deal a LOT with capture audio, and this would be a great tool to keep in my pocket.

Well, I know I was pulling my hair out to get to the bottom of it, so hope it saves someone else.

I should point out that the wireless card driver is not always the culprit, it could be any driver causing the issue. But it seems as though network cards and wireless ones seem to be quite problematic.

I can vouch for them being problematic with other items. Can't think of the examples off hand, but have seen some particularly odd things (seemingly very unrelated) apparently caused by the wireless drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back