Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default volume is being requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

jciarlette

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
US
I have alerts that Networker is waiting for a volume labeled 'Default'. I have plenty of empty tapes that should be used as designated by media pool settings for my other pools. What should I be looking at to see why Networker is asking to mount a volume called 'Default'?

Most likely a client initiated backup or else a group you created which writes to no specific pool. If all groups write to specific pools I would imagine it's a client initiated backup.

I only have server initiated backups. Where in the group properties can I select which pools to write to?

Hello,

that's the opposite :)

You select pool properties, then tell NW what groups can write this pool.

Denis

At least by default, the is no volume named "Default" - there is just the pool "Default". Consequently ...
- If NW really requests "the media name Default", this can only occur when you start a recovery.
- If NW is requesting a media from the "Pool Default", this is during a backup situation.
Just go ahead and (re-)label a media to the pool.
Then, if you no not want to use this pool, look at your intended pool setup.

For a backup, NW would never ask for a specific media but only for a media from a certain pool.

Obviously you have mis-pooled. Let us know which pool you want to write to and the pool's criteria.

I do notice that all backup jobs that are using vss to backup up save sets are going to the default pool. How can I get those save sets to not require the Default pool?

Specify a new pool with the combination of your specific criteria:
- groups
- clients
- save sets
- levels
and label media to that pool.

Please see the docs for more details as we do not know what you want to filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back