Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default to Replicate timestamp as binary

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDuncanTB

Programmer
Jun 6, 2013
US
Is there a way to set Replicate timestamp as binary as the default for replication?

I am building a data mart/warehouse. I have several source databases that are replicated to my server. I want to use timestamp (now rowversion) columns to determine which rows need updating for a differential build. I have written a procedure that checks for tables that do not have a timestamp column and adds the column.

My problem is reinitialization of existing publications and creation of new publications. If the DBA forgets to check the Replicate as binary checkbox then I don't get my timestamps.

Is this setting the only way to capture timestamps or is there a trick to getting binary timestamp values through replication without it? I thought about a computed column that casts the timestamp as binary. Replication does automatically add the new computed column on reinitialization but from what I've read replication will only transfer the formula not the data, so it will probably fail on the subscriber. I haven't tested that though.

--JD
"Behold! As a wild ass in the desert go forth I to my work."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back