Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default tiff viewer in internet explorer 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloiLepine

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
CA
I been using a program called ecopy desktop for a long time, when i was clicking on a link on a web page for a tiff files it open with this application.

Since a few week for a reasons that i dont know internet explorer 6.0 stop using this program for viewing tiff files ...

So i go to windows explorer --> tools --> folder option --> files type and i link the tif and tiff extension to the ecopy desktop program.

Since then when i click on a tiff files in windows explorer it open it with the correct application but when i click on a tif files in internet explorer it still open it with imaging.

Any ideas or suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

when i click on a tif files in internet explorer
Are these tif files residing on a web server? If so, then it may be that the site hosting them is delivering some mimetype other than what you are expecting. Try opening a local tif file by clicking a link on a simple HTML page saved locally (you would have to craft this)... does that open in the external application?

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Hi Jeff, yes the tiff files are at a web server, its outlook webmail interface, and when i try to open a tiff files on the hard drive it handle it correctly.

So where can i correct the way that explorer handle this type of mimetype? registery base?

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Eloi

Probably best to have a chat with your system admin and get them to adjust the mime types being served for tif files. This is something that is done at a server level.

IE picks up on the mime-type from the header information of the page and interprets it as per its settings. You have set up IE as much as you can (I reckon)... and now you need the files to be delivered to you (from the web server) with the correct mime-type in the headers.

If your system admin has no idea what is going on... then I suggest you send them googling for how to set it up (pretty well documented for other file types like PDF and XLS).

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back