Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default telnet client app in XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

klklkl

MIS
Jan 20, 2003
US
Anyone know how to change the default telnet app in XP? I found something off Google a year ago for Win2k, but I can't find that or anything for XP now. I think it was just a simple registry change, if I remember correctly...

You can use any telnet client you want, there is no registry change involved.

For the telnet server service its default setting is manual. You can Start, Run, services.msc and set to disabled to gaurantee it will not run.

No, I'm talking about when you click on a hyperlink that has something like telnet://127.0.0.1, that it would open and connect using the telnet client of your choice. I know in Win2k there is a way to do it through the registry...

Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types

Scroll down to:
URL:Telnet Protocol.

Click Open, and then Edit... .

The Edit window will allow you to type the path to the telnet program you wish to use. When you are finished, click OK to close the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back