Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Tab Search Results - removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peppper

Technical User
May 27, 2013
Hey, can someone help me seal with a problem?
I can't get rid of this thing - Default Tab – Search Results.
Has anyone had the same problem? How did you remove it?
Thank you.

First, you should specify which browser you're talking about and version. In general, take a little time to flesh out your post. Just like for a doctor "it hurts" doesn't help much in diagnosing.

Do you mean a type of malware like this:

OR do you mean some type of behavior in your browser like showing "my most frequent websites" when opening a new tab?

goombawaho, sorry for not being specific.
I am using Google Chrome. And the toolbar is just the one mentioned here After doing some searching it turned out that it is a common browser hijacker.
I followed the instructions for manual removal here (cleaned cookies, add-ons, extensions, cache )but it seems that i also need an antimalware tool. I am now downloading Malwarebytes and I hope it helps. And most of all I hope it prevents future infections like this.
I'll be back with feed back when the scan is complete.

Yeah, I understand about the details. YOU know all the details, you just have to remember to share them.

If MBAM doesn't work, I'd try TDSSKiller, Rogue Killer and then Combofix. I say to use Combofix LAST because you have to remove your anti-virus for it to work safely.

Thank you again.
No threads were found, so i think everything is fine now. :)

hi, what browsers are you using? In any browsers, it will be in the settings tab to remove or keep the default search bar. Just try to get tools or setting and find the default search bar list and uncheck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back