Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default supervisor settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBanks

Technical User
May 28, 2002
GB
Can anybody tell me how I can find out what the default security settings are for all the command sets?

Appendix B of the Supervisor's Guide lists every single command set three times over (by functionality, by effect on user interface and by effect on object model), which is all fine and dandy.

But if a security setting is defined as "Inherit from default", how on earth am I supposed to know whether the default is for that command set to be enabled, disabled or hidden?

The default value for all security command is enabled.

Here is a quote of the the supervisor PDF guide, page 183 (Chapter 7 /Assigning BusinessObjects Products to Users)

Inheritance of command restrictions
Before any command restrictions are made, security commands for all users and groups have the status "Inherit" and inherit from the default setting. The default value of all security commands is equivalent to "Enabled." Put another way, in the Command Restriction dialog box, a security command whose status is "Inherit" and whose "Inherited from" information is "Default" will have the same effect on the application as if it had "Enabled" status.

Thanks, M. I thought that should be the case.

We have found here, however, that the WebIntelligence "Read Corporate Documents" command set seemed to default to Hidden.

As new users it took us ages to find out why we couldn't see documents we had published. At that stage we hadn't even discovered the ability to change these security settings!

Must be something funny about our copy of BO

Hi John,
Yes, it's confusing. The best way to check what the defaults are for the Webi module, is to click on the user and Webi, then apply the button 'Apply Predefined Settings' because then when you click on the Query and Web Panel module, you can at least see the Disabled status for some of those security settings.

Unfortunately you don't see the status for 'Read Corp Documents'. They skirt around this limitation by giving the information that:
Predefined settings have some important limitations:
• It is not possible to see, for a given user or group, which if any predefined setting has been applied to it. All you can see are the settings of each security command in the Command Restriction dialog box.
• Predefined settings are not dynamic. In other words, if you apply a custom predefined setting to one group, then change the predefined setting, the
settings of the group do not change. You have to select the group again and apply the modified predefined setting to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back