Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Sort Order for SQL SVR 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alitaz

Technical User
Jan 30, 2003
US
Does anyone know the default Search/Sort order for SQL SRV 2000. SQL 7 was Dictionary Order/Case Insensitive. Is this the same for SQL SVR 2K? I need Dictionary Order/Case Sensitive for my CA Products. Someone else loaded the SQL 2K on the server and "took the defaults". If the sort order is wrong, can I change it or do I have to uninstall/re-install. Or can I load overtop the existing load (no dbs have been established yet). Thanks.

The sort order will be deturmined by the collation set that was selected. You can set this for the database when creating the database. You can set it globally when installing SQL Server. Once SQL is installed the server collation can not be changed. Once a database is created the database collation can not be changed.

If there is nothing in the database yet, drop the database and recreate it with the collation that you are looking for.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Unfortunatly, when i load the CA software, that installation will create the database and the user is not given the opportunity to set the collation. It takes the settings that are loaded on install. I need to know what the default installation settings are. Is there a way to find out.
Thanks for your fast reply.

Ed

In enterprise manager, right click on the server and select properties. On the General tab the last thing listed before the Auto start check boxes is the Server Collation. This will be the default collation for new databases. If this collation will not work for you, you will need to reinstall the SQL Server and select the collation type when installing.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back