Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default share disabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby1978

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2003
IN
Sir
We are having 70 windows workstations of windows 2000, windows XP in our network. I don’t want to share the drives by default (by default its sharing as c$, d$ etc as Default share). I am removing that share by do not share option, but whenever I am restarting the system its coming back, & one more think I don’t want to share the whole drive by c$ sign & I want to share individual folders as I need
Thanks for your time

Only do this if you know what you are doing!!!

You need to edit the registry todo it, load regedit and goto the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanserver\Paremeters and the following DWORD "AutoShareWKS" with value of 0.

I warning you now that disabling the default admin shares you make more trouble for you than its worth. Quite a few programs use this default shares for installing programs and accessing resoruces. I dont really recommend it for a business enviroment. I suggest you test it 1st on a few machines to see if you run into any problems.

Also if your Admin passwords are strong enough there really isnt anything to worry about with access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back