Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default screen relolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

pollow

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
When I turn on my computer, the screen resolution is set at 640 X 480 med (16 bit). I want it to be 800 X 600 Highest (32 bit). I have to do the following each time.

Select Control Panel
Select Display
Select Settings
click on OK (it does not allow me to slide the bar the first time)
Select Display again
Select Settings again
Slide the bar to 800 X 600
click on Apply
click on OK
Close Control Panel

Is there a way to make 800 X 600 the default?

If you are in a Domain setting the system administrator may have locked the ability for you to save your settings.

Otherwise, what you did should be persistant. It is possible a newer driver for the video board could solve the problem. Look to the video manufacturer's website.

The real question is how long has this been happening to you? Also, are you part of a network?

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I am sorry that I did not give more detail. I am on my home computer. I think it started when I re-installed XP.

Then it definitely sounds like it's the video driver. Take bcastner's advice and go out to your video card manufacturer's website to get the latest.

Also, check to see what monitor is listed under the advanced settings. Sometimes having a generic one listed in Windows causes these types of problems. It's a longshot, though, and the video driver is more than likely the problem.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back