Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

default profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthreepo

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
GB
Is there any way of forcing users to pickup the 'default profile' on the local pc when they log on to a Windows 2000 network?

let's help one another, not hinder.

Not sure why you are doing this but, in the active directory you can create a new container with the same properties as the default profile move/create any users inside that container.
Hope this helps, if you tell me why you are doing that maybe I can help better....

q

Basically, there are many programs installed on the pc's with shorcuts on the desktop.
At the moment whenever a student logs onto the network, a new profileis created for them and they loose all of the shortcuts etc.

let's help one another, not hinder.

I am not sure if I understand correctly what you are trying to accomplish, but I think you are saying that you want all the shorcuts to appear on the desktop each time a new user logs in. What I have done is, created a profile and set it up just the way I want. I then move it to the default user profile (I make a backup of the default profile first in case I ever want to go back to the original setup). Under the system properties, there is a User profile tab (W2K). You can use that to copy your profile to the default user.

However, if you have a bunch of workstations, this would be a slow process and it sounds like there is a better way using active diriectory. I use this process mainly for my Citrix servers. I would probably pursue the active directory answer for the long run.

You can also use a login script to copy shortcut files to the local desktop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back