Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

5uper5aiyan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2002
US
I've noticed that my users default printer keeps getting reset to the first printer in the list. It only happens once in a couple of months but it is getting annoying. To fix I have to tell everybody how to change their default printer back. This sounds easy but my users are not very good with directions.

Q. Where in the registry is the default printer set?

A. A. The default printer is set on a per user basis and so is part of the HKEY_USERS hive. To view the default printer for the currently logged on user view the

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

value. It is of the format "\\LN014\LN.S651.CSP001.HPLJ5,winspool,Ne01:", where the first part is the actual printer share, then the spooler and finally the connection, e.g. network or parallel port.

To view a different user or view remotely you would view HKEY_USERS\<SID of user>\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device. To check which user has which SID see Q. How can I tell which User has which SID?

If no default printer is manually defined then the first printer alphabetically will be set as the default.

Free citrixprinting support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back