Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default printer not chosen as default when printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJWheezyWeez

Technical User
Jun 5, 2008
US
I have a PC with a personal printer as well as a number of other network printers. In Control Panel> Printers and Faxes, the default printer is the HP 5650 on my desk. When trying to print in certain programs, when I click print, the default printer still has the little checkmark on the icon but the printer selected is the first on the list and NOT and default one.

Is there some way to fix this or will I have to scroll through all the network printers to select the one on my desk every time?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-DJWW

Check with your network Admins. there is very likely a batch file that runs when you login, that connects you to all the network printers in your area. they may be able to change it to leave your local printer as the default, or at least connect you to a shorter list of network printers.
Also, what Desktop OS are you on - XP, Vista, Win7 or ??

Fred Wagner

Also realize that any programs you have open when you set the default printer will need to be closed and reopened for the changes to take effect (or just reboot).

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Your problem programs may also have Printer Setup in their File menu dropdowns - you may find a place to select the printer within the application itself.

Fred Wagner

DJWheezyWeez,

Did you get your printer issue resolved? It sounds like it's application-related, like what cdogg mentioned. 99% of the time, just closing and reopening the app (or rebooting to be sure) fixes that issue. If it doesn't, then those certain programs aren't releasing their print settings, it sounds like, when closed. So you may have to change it in each of those programs - at least that's the quick and easy way, I think.

I doubt it's the network login issue, as it's only in certain applications. If it were every application, then I'd think it were caused by the network login.

One of the other employees actually came to me with this issue and I told him I'd look into it. I gave him cdogg's suggestion and I haven't heard back yet. I also asked him if it is happening in other programs but, again, haven't heard back.

I agree that it wouldn't be a batch file issue if it's only happening in specific programs plus I would expect to hear other users having the same problem (unless users aren't telling me...).

I'll update this thread when I know the answers. Thanks for the help

-DJWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back