Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default printer changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cg53

Programmer
Feb 1, 2003
US
Running server 2000 and have a problem where my default printer changes, happens almost every day.

Have a small network with 12 workstations running xp. All but one printer is networked using print spoolers. One printer is slaved off of one of my workstations, it is a label printer.

I want the default printer for the server to ba a certain laser printer, but every day the default printer has changed to the slaved label printer. It allows me to change back to the laser but next day it is the same problem.

I do not do a restart overnite.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you don't have a Static IP address on the workstations. That would cause problems.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

All workstations have a static ip address.

Not sure about the statement "pushed thru ad" but I would have to say that they fall under "shared printers".

I have setup the printers on the 2000 server and then at each xp workstation I "connect" to the needed printer on the server. One of the exceptions is in fact this priter I am having the problem with. It is setup on the workstation and is also one of two printers, in the printers folder on the server, that is not setup to be shared.

My primary account doesn't exist on my server or workstation (W2K). Whenever I try to print before I'm logged on, the document doesn't print. If I open the computer name from the run window, I get a logon box. As soon as I log on, I'm able to print, as well as access shared drives. I don't share the C:\drive, so I have to use Terminal Server to do anything related to the actual desktop.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

cg53, do you have any login scripts that might be changing the default printer?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

mark, I do not have any login scripts.

I'd verify that there aren't any legacy scripts hiding in the Netlogon folder just to be sure.

If you DON'T have a login script then why not implement one and set the default printer at login?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

I will check in Netlogon and setup a script if needed. Thanks for the thoughts Mark.

I ran into an issue likes this a couple weeks ago. The workstation had like 8 network printers installed. I ended up removing them all and adding them back, fixed it. Kinda weird but something to try.

Ryan

MCP/MCDST/MCSA 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back