Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrant1969

Programmer
Dec 13, 2004
US
We have an application that requires an external USB Microphone be used for recording.

Some of our systems have a built-in mic already on the system (laptop, all-in-one, etc) and that seems to be causing some issues.

The staff that are using these systems are too... "busy" I've been told to make sure that their mic is set properly before they begin recording.

So I am looking for a way to specify that whenever it is present that the Mic called "x" (x is obviously not its real name) is the default and activated mic when it is plugged in.

The staff members are using user class domain accounts on all of their systems.

I don't care if its a registry hack, a 3rd party piece of software, or voodoo! :)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Change the Default Microphones the normal way (via the GUI). Use this little program or something similar to see how your changes are reflected in the Registry.

If you really want to dive in and get dirty you could take a snapshot of your registry before making the change and another one afterward and see if you can pick up any changes. This small freeware program may help you achieve this.

How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a registration entries (.reg) file

You could try disabling the built in mics in device manager. That way all software would ignore it. And when the usb mic is plugged in it would automatically become the default as there is no more conflicts with the other mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back